On April 18, two people were killed in a five-car crash on Interstate 75 northbound near South Marietta Parkway.
In the early hours of the morning, Eduarda Cristina Romano DaSilva was traveling on I-75 North in a 2015 Honda Civic and got a flat tire. When she stopped the car in the far left lane, she was hit by a 2017 Toyota Rav4, which was driven by Victor Parra. The Toyota spun out of control while it was facing the Honda in the wrong direction. When DaSilva and Parra were getting out of their cars, a 2012 Chevrolet Silverado hit them.
DaSilva and Parra were killed at the scene and while the driver of the Chevrolet and his passenger were taken to the hospital for minor injuries. Two more vehicles drove through the accident and had minor damage.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents occur every day on Georgia roadways and can result in many damages, including medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering. Here are the most common causes of these accidents.
- Distracted driving. Drivers face many distractions when they get behind the wheel, from texting on a cellphone to talking to other passengers. Unfortunately, as the professionals at Norris Law can confirm, these distractions can take a driver’s attention off the road ahead, which can cause an accident. It is important for drivers to always keep their focus on the road ahead.
- Speeding. If you have ever been in a hurry to get somewhere, you might have driven above the speed limit to get there on time. However, speeding can be very dangerous. It can lower your reaction times, so you may not be able to avoid hazards, like oncoming vehicles and potholes.
- Drunk driving. The dangers of drunk driving are well-known, but that does not stop some people from getting behind the wheel intoxicated. Drunk drivers can put everyone on the road in danger. They have impaired judgment and lowered reaction times so they are more likely to cause an accident. If you have been in an accident with a drunk driver, you may want to contact an Athens, GA car accident lawyer.
- Unsafe lane changes. Many drivers have made an unsafe lane change at least once. This is one of the most common causes of car accidents. If you try to get into another lane and do not have enough room to pass another vehicle, you can get into a crash. Likewise, if you do not signal properly, you have a higher chance of getting into an accident.
- Bad weather. Car accidents are more likely to occur in bad weather conditions, like rainstorms. The roads are more slippery and visibility is reduced. If you have to drive in poor weather conditions, it is important to slow down and be extra aware of your surroundings.
If you have sustained injuries in a car accident caused by another driver, you should schedule an appointment with an experienced car accident lawyer.