If you were hurt in a truck accident, it’s important to speak to a truck accident lawyer in Athens, GA promptly. You may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages and other damages that resulted from the accident. A lawyer can help you file a timely lawsuit and protect your legal rights.
Common Truck Driving Distractions
Driver distraction is one of the most common causes of truck accidents. When truck drivers aren’t completely focused on the road ahead, they are more likely to cause accidents. Here are the most common truck driving distractions:
- Using a smartphone. Truck drivers often spend long hours on the road and become lonely or bored. As such, they may send text messages or talk on the phone with their family members and friends as they drive. Unfortunately, using a smartphone while behind the wheel takes a driver’s hands and attention off the road ahead, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Eating or drinking. Truck drivers are often pressed for time. If they’re behind schedule in their deliveries, they may not have enough time to sit down at a restaurant and eat a meal. Instead, they eat or drink as they drive. Drinking and eating requires a truck driver to take his or her hands off the wheel. This can lead to vehicle crashes.
- Daydreaming. Truck driving can be a stressful career. As such, many truck drivers can’t help but get lost in their own thoughts as they’re behind the wheel. They may think about whether they will make their deliveries on time or when they can see their family next. As a truck accident lawyer in Athens, GA can confirm, this can cause truck drivers to lose focus and get into accidents.
- Reaching for or adjusting items. Truck drivers may try to reach for various objects in their truck, like a smartphone or cup, or adjust the radio station. Unfortunately, this can cause truck drivers to lose control of their vehicle.
Why You Should Speak With a Truck Accident Lawyer Right Away
One of the most important things you can do following an accident with a semi-truck is to contact the Norris Law team. It’s not a good idea to try to handle this type of legal matter on your own. There are at least five reasons why working with a truck accident lawyer in Athens, GA, is in your best interests.
1. To Avoid Making Costly Mistakes
You can’t afford to feel your way around truck accident lawsuits. The process is complicated whether you need to file a claim with your insurance company, deal with another insurance company or take the other driver to court. Any mistakes can severely affect the amount of compensation you receive or make you miss your opportunity to sue. Instead, let a truck accident lawyer in Athens, GA, guide you through the process from beginning to end.
2. To Protect Your Interests
Getting the compensation you deserve isn’t the only thing you have to think about in cases of truck accidents. You also have to protect your finances from lawsuits by other drivers or passengers. Speaking with a truck accident lawyer in Athens, GA, is essential. We can advise you on things to do and things to avoid. For example, you should never talk with the other driver’s insurance company.
3. To Take Care of Your Health
Given how devastating truck accidents can be, it’s not surprising to have expensive medical bills from treatments. A truck accident lawyer in Athens, GA can help in several ways. First, we can help you avoid common stalling tactics that insurance companies use to get out of paying. You need compensation as soon as possible.
We can also let you know what is included in any settlement offers from the insurance company, transportation company or the driver. That way, you can make sure the amount covers your needs. Taking your time to consider how much compensation you deserve is important because you may have injuries that haven’t shown up yet.
4. To Care for Your Family
Has a truck accident made you lose wages from work, lose your job or lose your ability to work in the same field? Then it’s also important to discuss your family’s needs with our law team at Norris Law. We can include compensation for these economic, physical and emotional damages in your lawsuit.
Let our team handle these legal matters for you. Let us put together a strong case while you focus on your recovery. You’re in excellent hands.
What to Do If You Were Injured in a Truck Accident
Getting injured in a truck accident can be a shocking and frightening experience. However, it’s important to keep your cool and take the necessary steps to obtain compensation for your injuries. Begin by seeking medical attention, even if you don’t feel too bad after the accident.
It’s also important to discuss your case in detail with a qualified truck accident lawyer. He or she can help you gather evidence, identify witnesses and negotiate with the insurance company.
Schedule a consultation with a truck accident lawyer in Athens, GA today. At Norris Law, our lawyers are ready to help you.