Wrongful Death Lawyer in Athens, GA
As a wrongful death lawyer in Athens, GA understands, the grief you feel after losing a loved one cannot be fixed by a lawsuit. While losing your loved one is hard in any situation, it is especially difficult when that loss is unexpected and you feel that they have been ripped away from you. This is how many people feel when they are considering filing a wrongful death suit. If you have questions about filing a suit or are already in the process of doing so, do not hesitate to reach out to the compassionate lawyers from Norris Law.
What are common examples of wrongful deaths?
You may be wondering what constitutes a wrongful death claim and when it would be appropriate to file one. If, for example, your loved one passed away after they had been treated at a hospital, you might believe that a wrongful death claim is your next move. As an Athens, Georgia wrongful death lawyer will tell you, this depends on a few circumstances. Ask yourself this: what happened after your loved one was treated? Did they die from a known complication? Was their treatment a last effort to help them but they knew it might not work?
In these types of situations, it is likely that your loved one knew of the risks of treatment or knew that the treatment may not be helpful and a wrongful death claim would not get very far in court. On the other hand, you may want to file a claim if you believe their medical provider was negligent or reckless. This could appear as:
- Their medical provider failing to notify them of after-care procedures
- Their medical provider failing to discuss the potential risks of a procedure
- Their medical provider failing to give them medication, giving them the wrong medication, or providing them with the wrong dose of medication
In the example above, you will need to show that their death could have been prevented and that another medical provider in the same position and with the same knowledge could have provided them with a different outcome. This can be done by using expert witnesses in court to help make your case stronger.
Moving Forward with Your Claim
When you are prepared to move forward with your claim, one of the first steps you should take is to reach out to our office. We would be happy to sit down with you and look at the evidence you have gathered to discuss if you should move forward. At this point, we can begin looking into medical experts who can bolster your wrongful death claim.
Why You Need a Lawyer on Your Side
It is important to have an experienced wrongful death lawyer on your side so that you can get the full amount of compensation you deserve. A good lawyer will look over all of the details of your case to determine what you may be entitled to. For example, if you counted on your loved one to provide a certain amount of money from a paycheck every month, you need to be compensated for this sudden loss. It is also important to get justice for the loss of your loved one. You cannot bring them back, but you can try to hold the at-fault party responsible for their actions. It may even prevent the loss of another person in the future.
A lawyer will know what kind of argument could likely be successful in court. Your lawyer can take care of all the details, big and small, so that you and your family can focus on preparing the funeral and grieving together. Your lawyer will make sure all of the paperwork is filled out and filed in time, as there is a statute of limitations for filing wrongful death cases. Your lawyer will also investigate further if necessary, as well as find other ways to prove that the at-fault party was negligent in one way or another.
Types of Compensation You May Recover
There are many different types of compensation someone can receive after being involved in a wrongful death lawsuit. Here are some of the most common things you may file for because of the loss of your loved one:
- Compensation for all of the medical costs that were associated with the negligent behavior of the defendant.
- Compensation for pain and suffering that your family has been through because of this wrongful death.
- Damages to punish the at-fault party for being negligent. One of the most common types of wrongful death cases that include this is when someone was drinking and driving and killed a person.
- Compensation for the lost wages that you no longer receive because of the loss of your loved one.
- Compensation for any therapy or other things that you need to do since losing your loved one. It can be emotionally traumatic losing someone too soon, and you should be able to have resources to help you heal without it impacting your finances.
Your life should not be financially impacted because of the loss of your loved one. It is already difficult enough to move on without your loved one, so you should not have to bear a new financial burden along with this.
Contact a Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
Do you want to see how we can help you? Reach out to our trusted wrongful death lawyer in Athens, Georgia today from Norris Law to see how we can move forward. We can set up a consultation to go over the details of what happened to see if you have a case.