Car Accident Lawyer Lawrenceville, GA
After a car crash, you should call a Lawrenceville, GA car accident lawyer at Norris Injury Law. While cars have become much safer since they were first invented, around 6 million car crashes occur in the U.S. every year. Unfortunately, car crashes are the leading reason for death in the country, with more than 38,000 people losing their lives every year. We’ll explore why it makes sense to contact an attorney after a crash.
Reasons Why You Should Contact an Attorney
Ideally, following a crash, the process should be very straightforward. You make a statement, gather evidence like pictures, collect the other driver’s contact information, copy your police report, report the incident to your or the other person’s insurance company, and receive compensation that covers everything. However, often the process can be more complicated, especially when dealing with significant damage. Some problems victims can run into are:
The Insurance Company Not Offering a Fair Settlement
Following a crash, you may deal with major expenses like expensive medical bills or needing to repair or replace your car. Unfortunately, an insurance company may not always offer enough compensation. Besides compensation for immediate expenses like hospital stays, compensation can also cover factors like:
- Lost wages, job rehabilitation, or disability benefits
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress, including the development of PTSD
- Overall reduced quality of life
- Loss of reputation
- In the case of a loved one passing away, wrongful death benefits like paying for funeral expenses
What Can An Attorney Do?
Besides an insurance company not offering a fair settlement, they may also use techniques like not being willing to negotiate, not taking your calls or making it hard to contact them, blaming you for the incident, claiming you had a prior medical issue, etc. A Lawrenceville car accident attorney can help break through these issues and force the insurance company to negotiate by applying legal pressure. An attorney can also help you determine if you’re being offered a fair settlement or if you should hold out for a better offer.
Do Car Accident Cases Make it to Court?
A professional attorney isn’t afraid to go to court if necessary. However, a professional attorney also understands that settling outside of court is often the better solution. The truth is that most car accident cases settle outside the court system simply because they take too much time and money for both parties. Additionally, taking a case to court can be unpredictable. For example, a party may need to pay a higher settlement, or the case can be dismissed.
Are There Situations Where an Attorney Isn’t Necessary?
Whether or not you should call an attorney following a car crash often depends upon the severity of the crash. For example, a minor bump in the parking lot that can easily be covered under either party’s insurance probably won’t warrant a call to an attorney. However, if you’re dealing with massive property damages and medical expenses, it’s a good idea to consider an attorney. For a Lawrenceville car accident attorney, you should call Norris Injury Law.
A Lawrenceville, GA car accident lawyer knows that there are many different scenarios that occur that result in car crashes and personal injuries. Common causes include distracted driving, speeding, and driving under the influence. One scenario that people don’t often associate with car accidents are u-turns.
There are numerous traffic situations where making a u-turn may seem like a good idea. Encountering unexpected traffic conditions, missing your exit ramp on a highway or a turn you needed to make on a city street, or simply realizing you are headed the wrong direction are all common scenarios which could cause you to attempt this type of traffic maneuver.
But are u-turns legal in Georgia and what happens if someone making a u-turn causes a crash?
When it comes to making a u-turn, many Georgia drivers are unsure what is legal and what isn’t. In fact, in far too many situations, the driver is basically guessing whether the u-turn they are about to take is allowed in the spot they are about to take it at. This can turn into quite the gamble – not only when it comes to being citing for a traffic violation but also causing an accident.
Under Georgia traffic laws, u-turns are forbidden under the following circumstances:
- Where a sign is posted that prohibits u-turns
- Where the turn cannot be made safely and/or interfering with traffic on the other side of the road
- When the driver is approaching a curve
- When approaching a rise in the road making it impossible for drivers approaching in either direction to see your vehicle
A skilled Lawrenceville car accident lawyer has encountered all kinds of accident causes in the cases he or she works on. When it comes to u-turn accidents, the most frequent reasons car accident happen include:
- The other driver was making the u-turn in a forbidden or unsafe location. There are many locations where it is just too dangerous to make a u-turn, including trying to cross over double lanes or even in a parking lot.
- The other driver filed to the right of way to the oncoming traffic where they are trying to turn. Even if there is signage that allows u-turns at a location, the oncoming drivers have the right of way and a turning driver must wait until the road is clear before turning.
- The other driver attempted to make the turn during bad weather conditions that hampered their ability to see the oncoming traffic
- The other driver was operating under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs and failed to judge the danger in making the turn.
If a driver takes a u-turn and a crash occurs, they will most likely be liable for the accident and any losses that injured victims of the accident sustain. Even if the driver took a u-turn in an area where it is allowed, they are always required to yield the right of way. If you were injured in a u-turn crash, Lawrenceville, GA car accident lawyer from Norris Injury Law could evaluate your case and determine what your legal options are.
Common Types of Car Accidents
A Lawrenceville, Georgia car accident lawyer from Norris Injury Lawyer knows that Georgia, like any other state, experiences a variety of car accidents on its roads and highways. Understanding the most common types of car accidents that occur in Georgia can help drivers and residents be more aware of potential risks and take appropriate precautions.
- Rear-End Collisions: Rear-end collisions are one of the most common types of car accidents in Georgia. These accidents occur when one vehicle crashes into the back of another vehicle. They often result from distracted driving, tailgating, sudden stops, or failure to maintain a safe following distance. Rear-end collisions can cause whiplash injuries, soft tissue damage, and damage to the rear vehicle.
- Intersection Accidents: Your Lawrenceville car accident lawyer knows that intersections can be high-risk areas for car accidents in Georgia. Collisions at intersections occur when two or more vehicles cross paths while turning, entering, or exiting the intersection. Factors such as red-light running, failure to yield right-of-way, and distracted driving contribute to these accidents. Intersection accidents can result in severe injuries, particularly if vehicles collide at high speeds.
- Head-On Collisions: Head-on collisions are among the most dangerous types of accidents in Georgia. They occur when two vehicles traveling in opposite directions collide front-to-front. These accidents often happen due to wrong-way driving, crossing the centerline, or drifting into oncoming traffic. Head-on collisions can lead to catastrophic injuries and fatalities.
- Side-Impact Collisions (T-Bone Accidents): Side-impact collisions, commonly known as T-bone accidents, occur when the front end of one vehicle strikes the side of another vehicle, forming a “T” shape. These accidents often happen at intersections or when a driver fails to yield the right-of-way. T-bone accidents can cause significant injuries, especially to the occupants on the side that is struck.
- Single-Vehicle Accidents: Single-vehicle accidents involve only one vehicle and can occur for various reasons. Factors such as loss of control, speeding, impaired driving, inclement weather, or striking an object on the road can lead to these accidents. Single-vehicle accidents can result in injuries or fatalities, particularly if the vehicle rolls over or crashes into a fixed object.
- Rollover Accidents: Rollover accidents involve a vehicle flipping over onto its side or roof. These accidents often occur when a driver loses control, overcorrects, or when a vehicle’s stability is compromised (e.g., top-heavy vehicles, abrupt maneuvers). Rollover accidents have a higher risk of severe injuries and fatalities due to the potential for vehicle ejection and roof collapse.
- Multi-Vehicle Pileups: Multi-vehicle pileups, also known as chain-reaction accidents, involve multiple vehicles colliding with one another in a chain of events. These accidents typically occur on highways, especially during inclement weather, low visibility, or when drivers fail to adjust to changing traffic conditions. Multi-vehicle pileups can cause extensive property damage, severe injuries, and fatalities.
It is important for drivers in Georgia to remain vigilant, practice defensive driving, and follow traffic laws to reduce the occurrence of these common types of car accidents. Additionally, staying attentive, avoiding distractions, maintaining a safe distance, and obeying traffic rules can significantly reduce the likelihood of being involved in a car accident. Reach out to a Lawrenceville car accident lawyer from Norris Injury Law when you have been injured in a car accident.
Lawrenceville Car Accident FAQs
If you have been in a car accident, a Lawrenceville, GA car accident lawyer understands you may have some questions regarding filing a claim. The following are some of the more frequent ones that we hear from our clients. For more detailed information, contact Norris Injury Law.
Is it necessary to involve the police in all car accidents?
Generally, it is advisable to involve the police in any car accident, even if the other party tries to talk you out of calling them. The police report provides an official documentation of the incident, which can be crucial when filing insurance claims or pursuing legal action. Under Georgia law, drivers are required to report any accident that result in injury or death to anyone or if there is more than $500 in property damage.
How is fault determined in a car crash?
Fault in a car accident is determined by law enforcement and/or insurance companies using evidence, witness statements and applicable traffic laws. It is important to gather as much evidence as possible, including photos, witness accounts, and the police report. However, it is important to note that the other driver’s insurance company will do all they can to try to deny the claim so make sure to consult with a car accident lawyer.
What should I do if the other driver involved in the accident does not have insurance?
The state of Georgia mandates that every driver have $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident in bodily injury liability. Unfortunately, despite it being the law, there are drivers who fail to purchase auto insurance.
If the other driver does not have insurance, you may be able to rely on your own uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage to help cover the damages. Contact your insurance company to understand the specific coverage and requirements for making a claim in such situations and/or speak to a a Lawrenceville car accident lawyer.
Do I need to seek medical attention after a car accident if I don’t think I’m hurt?
It is recommended that anyone involved in a crash get evaluated by a medical professional following the accident, even if you do not feel injured at the moment. Some injuries, such as whiplash or internal injuries, may not present immediate symptoms. A medical exam can help identify and treat any hidden injuries and document them for insurance purposes.
How long do I have to file an insurance claim after a car accident?
The time limit to file an insurance claim after a car accident, referred to as the statute of limitation. varies depending on the state the accident lives in. In Georgia, that time frame is two years. It is crucial to report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible to avoid potential complications. Contact your insurance provider to understand the specific deadlines and requirements for filing a claim.
Contact Norris Injury Law to speak with a Lawrenceville car accident lawyer to find out what legal options you may have.
What Mistakes to Avoid After a Car Accident
Seasoned Lawrencevile, GA car accident lawyers know that in the aftermath of an accident, victims face a long road to recovery. One common mistake is failing to seek immediate medical attention. Even minor injuries can worsen over time, and delaying medical care can jeopardize your health and your legal case. Avoid admitting fault at the scene, as liability determinations should be left to insurance companies and legal professionals. Another crucial mistake is not contacting the police and properly documenting the accident scene. Having an official police report can be invaluable when dealing with insurance claims and legal proceedings. Lastly, not preserving evidence, such as photos, witness information, and medical records, can significantly impact your case’s outcome. Staying calm and avoiding these common errors in the aftermath of a car accident is crucial to protect your rights.
Are Witness Statements Necessary After a Car Accident
A witness statement can be highly beneficial in any car accident claim, as it allows lawyers to determine who is liable. They provide unbiased accounts of the events and can help establish a clearer picture of what happened. While not required in every car accident case, they are particularly vital in complex situations involving multiple parties or unclear circumstances. Whenever possible, gather the contact information of witnesses and request their statements while their recollection is still fresh. Witness statements can strengthen your position when negotiating with insurance companies or presenting evidence in court, making them a valuable asset after a car accident.
How to Boost Compensation After a Car Accident
Boosting compensation is one of the main goals that car accident victims have, as skilled Lawrenceville car accident lawyers know. There are several strategies to help achieve this goal. First, meticulously document all expenses related to the accident, including medical bills, vehicle repair costs, and lost wages. This thorough record serves as evidence when negotiating with insurance companies or pursuing a legal claim. Consider hiring an experienced personal injury attorney who can assess the true value of your claim and negotiate on your behalf. Their expertise in dealing with insurance companies and navigating the legal system can significantly increase the compensation you receive. Lastly, be patient and persistent during negotiations. Insurance companies may initially offer low settlements, hoping that you’ll accept them out of desperation. With the right documentation and legal representation, you can negotiate for a fair and just compensation package.
When to Hire a Lawyer After a Car Accident
Knowing when to hire a lawyer for further assistance with your case is critical. While not every accident requires legal representation, certain circumstances warrant it. If you’ve sustained severe injuries, anticipate long-term medical treatment, or cannot work due to the accident, consulting with an attorney is advisable. Additionally, if liability is contested, multiple parties are involved, or the accident’s circumstances are complex, legal guidance can protect your interests. Attorneys can also be instrumental when dealing with uncooperative insurance companies or facing a complicated legal process. Ultimately, if you have any doubts about your case’s complexity or your ability to negotiate a fair settlement, it’s wise to seek the expertise of a personal injury lawyer who can guide you through the post-car accident process and advocate for your rights.
After a car accident, knowing what mistakes to avoid, the importance of witness statements, strategies to boost compensation, and when to hire a lawyer can make a significant difference in your recovery and potential legal case. Find out what you can do to boost your settlement by reaching out to a Lawrenceville car accident lawyer from Norris Injury Law as soon as you can.
Navigating the Aftermath: 7 Crucial Ways A Lawrenceville Car Accident Lawyer Supports You
Car accidents can be overwhelming, leaving you grappling with both physical and emotional aftermaths, requiring help from a Lawrenceville, GA car accident lawyer. In such trying times, having a reliable legal ally becomes paramount. At Norris Injury Law, we’re here to guide you through the complexities of post-accident challenges. Here are seven crucial ways our team supports you during this difficult period.
- Local Expertise, Global Impact
It’s vital to recognize that Georgia traffic laws can be complex. Understanding the nuances of Georgia traffic laws is our forte, ensuring that your case is handled with precision. Our commitment to staying abreast of legal developments ensures that you receive the best representation, no matter how unique or complex your situation.
- Tailored Legal Strategies for Your Uniqueness
Every car accident comes with its own unique set of challenges. We take the time to listen to your narrative, analyze the specifics of your case, and craft legal strategies tailored to your unique needs. This approach guarantees that you receive the attention and representation necessary for your distinctive circumstances.
- Meticulous Investigations for Robust Cases
Our team can provide a meticulous investigation, ensuring you have a fair shot at obtaining justice and compensation. We delve deep into gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, and collaborating with experts to fortify your case. Our commitment to thoroughness is aimed at achieving the most favorable outcome for you, ensuring that no aspect of your case is left unexplored.
- Negotiation with Insurance Companies
A Lawrenceville car accident lawyer from our team can help when it comes to negotiating with the insurance companies. Armed with effective communication skills, we navigate negotiations with insurance companies on your behalf. Our goal is to protect your rights and ensure that you receive the rightful compensation. Let us be your advocates in the complex realm of insurance proceedings.
- Comprehensive Legal Representation
Our team can handle every legal nuance of your case. From handling paperwork to providing guidance on medical examinations, we stand by you at every step. Our commitment is not only to secure a favorable legal outcome but also to alleviate the burden of legal complexities from your shoulders.
- Compassionate Support for the Human Side
Understanding that a car accident is not just a legal matter but a deeply human experience, our Lawrenceville car accident lawyers provide compassionate support throughout. We recognize the emotional challenges that accompany the legal proceedings, and we’re here to offer guidance, understanding, and a listening ear as you navigate the path to recovery.
- Holistic Approach to Recovery
Our commitment extends beyond the courtroom; we take a holistic approach to your recovery. Our Lawrenceville car accident lawyers collaborate with medical professionals, therapists, and support networks to ensure that you receive comprehensive care. Your health and well-being is among one of our top priorities.
At Norris Injury Law, we take pride in being your partners in justice in Lawrenceville. Our team of seasoned car accident lawyers is dedicated to providing the expertise, support, and personalized attention you need during this challenging time. If you’ve experienced a car accident, remember that you have a steadfast partner in us, and you can work with a Lawrenceville car accident lawyer today.
Reach out to our Lawrenceville car accident lawyers today for a consultation. Let us stand by your side, navigate the legal complexities, and work towards the resolution you deserve. Your recovery is our priority, and we’re here to help you every step of the way.